Saturday, November 14, 2009

For today's prompt, I want you to write a poem involving lines. There are several possible lines you could write about: shopping lines, pick-up lines, lines from movies or songs, lines drawn in the sand, lines that should not be crossed (physically or emotionally), and so on. If all else fails, remember: All poems consist of lines.

I tell my beginning drawing students there is no such thing as line.
(though i love line and the week before told them to draw
every kind of line they could possibly make).
This week, there is no line
A line is just a concept.
There is no such thing as a physical line
just value next to value.

the birds i love again are back
aligning on the straight length of wire that is not a line,
as it was not last year,
the starlings, their wire, their pause and direction, just deeper blues
in a field of blues
in a field, deep field, of black, expanding


This is how painters see things.
the space between the nucleus and the path (not a line) of the electron
probably a color of some kind
probably very hard to get right

the direction of gaze
not a line with beginning or end
but a field in which one can suddenly lift in a startled
movement of living.

2 comments:

Beilezebub said...

How does this post not show up until Sunday morning? I checked yesterday. I don't know where to focus my anger...my brower or blogger. I won't play the blame game then. I could have used your perception yesterday though when I was at an art gallery. (I was one and done. seems like that bug that's out and about is attacking me. i made a strategic retreat.)

Laura Hohlwein said...

i'm usually one and done with second sat. i want to dig it but i get overwhelmed and often feel like a dork with poor mingling skills - (see: impulses to throw myself behind bushes and hide in the bathroom -- that sort of thing. very jeuvenile. plus, it's impossible to consider the art when you're worried about how people REALLY feel about your new hair cut).

re: dablog - i was falling behind. started em. did something else. got em out later the next day but they still show the start time. so... there is is, Watson. case closed.

sorry if you're feeling poorly. i guess the best we can hope for is that it's all in your head...

beautiful day today.
hope you have a good one, KB.
Rx: soup and football?