Sunday, April 3, 2011

Poetry Challenge - Day 3

Today's prompt is to write a poem in which you imagine the world without you. Since my favorite movie (It's a Wonderful Life) plays with this idea, I'm surprised I've never used this prompt before. The world could be a much worse place without you, could be pretty much the same, or I guess, it could even be better. Anyway, it's interesting to contemplate our individual contributions to this planet in ways small and large.

The World Without Me

The world without me, for those who loved me, will be full
of speaking things: a soft golden lining of the window sill, stretching, will say, brightening, "Stand up. You're alive. It is today."
and the window itself will say, "Look right through me.
Look right through. Open me. You. Breath."

The street, waking, will imply, without saying, "Love thy neighbor"
and the wisteria climbing and dripping sweet
purples into shared sky, will whisper,
"Lucky, lucky, lucky. Don't miss this."

No comments: