Thursday, November 24, 2011

23 - Also... just ghastly, but you know what. who really cares?



For today’s prompt, write a travel poem. Yes, I knew I’d be on the road today, so it was a no-brainer for me to decide on what today’s prompt should cover. You can come at traveling from any angle you wish, just be safe out on the roads.








Today is Thanksgiving.  I am in a country
that doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving.


I could be bumping along a small and smaller
and smaller now road
in the back of a Datsun pickup truck 
slamming into potholes that make me
eat my liver


Live chickens with me there.
Banana trees flying past.
The radio on - always -
full blast.


But no.
Where I am is very civilized.
The freeways are paved and dusted in salt.
The lettuce is fresh, the sodas, cold.
The natives are bundled and smiling.


But there is no pie today.


And so I find them
savages.



No comments: