Wednesday, October 13, 2010

For this week's prompt, pick a word (any old word), make it the title of your poem, then write the poem. Don't think too much about this poem when writing the first draft. Just pick a random word and start writing. (Tip: Try using an object, such as "Rake," "Scarecrow," "Apple," etc.)

Listen

to just get you to
all i want is for you
to
for a minute, just

if you want someone to
--tell them it's confidential

otherwise, don't wait to be heard
the ear is a shape turned in
towards its own hearing

you is not a word the ear likes
the ear likes I
I
and did you know that I

I think
I

when the inner ear stops trembling
from the misconstrued,
the incorrect use of
you

- what?
- no!
that's not what i meant
you didn't listen

when all is done
listenening likes silence best
it is most like I

it is always the rests
that make the music
that feel like the self
is expanding
there
at long last, heard

the rest
sustained in accord with the chord
of one's own truth
in the open, broad assembly
of part and whole

No comments: