Monday, November 25, 2013

23 - salmon thing

For today’s prompt, write an “I shouldn’t be here” poem. You can decide where you shouldn’t be: maybe it’s a place, maybe it’s a time, or maybe (just maybe) it’s a state of mind. Shake yourself loose in a poem.


I Shouldn't Be Here

Here I am again.
Right back in the same damn spot.

Every thing I own was touched, packed, unpacked, settled back east.
Then touched, packed, unpacked, settled right back here.

Should I be there?
Vice President of Something.
Inventor or Artist or Wife or Mother.

Then again, maybe I should be here.
In November, leaping upstream.

Right back where I started.
Thicker.  My expression settled.
Possibilities abandoned.

Maybe I should be here.
An imperative of some kind.  Unclear, but firm.

It has to be good enough that I made it
- once -
All the way out to the open sea.

No comments: