Sunday, November 30, 2014

23 - alone poem

For today’s prompt, write an alone poem. Some people covet “alone time.” Others prefer not to be left alone. Many like a certain balance. But this doesn’t have to just be about people. Maybe a forest wishes to be left alone, or there is a product left alone on a store shelf (how the children’s story “Corduroy” begins).

what all these poems have been about it seems.  ...



Alone Poem

Sometimes it as if there is no such thing
because there is always this person there

It is spectacular how much time
I have spent alone

I still am learning to believe that sounds I make
with this mouth

can be heard
can carry meaning

And I mean that.
I come to you

Out of such remoteness as you would never believe
The sounds I make

are like shells knocking over one another
in the white, tumbling surf - that clack of need or

nothing but
life happening

or like the space between a window and
its ledge - a distance that matters

or like where an animal's breath
becomes more forest

than animal and I
have spent so much time alone

only when you are alone
do you have any chance of knowing me




No comments: