Friday, April 1, 2016

Day 1 - Fool

You'd think I'd get tired of starting these and not finishing.  My motivation is ... fairly ... good for trying to possibly follow through.

For today’s prompt, write a foolish poem. It’s April Fool’s Day, after all. Let’s loosen up today with a poem in which we’re fools, others are fools, or there’s some kind of prank or tomfoolery happening. Fool around with it a while.





If it's possible to fuck it up
I'll do that.  I volunteer.

It begins with water for the coffee maker - a bit on the floor
socks. wet. and then all down hill from there.

wet grinds missing the basket
jacket worn without a button - burst in front of the chest, of course
the red light, no wreck but, well, not stopped for the makeup spilt in the purse the laughter
from eighteen years ago peeling over the forest lost
the traffic, heavy, reckless, the heart empty am I fucking it up? i don't
 know
what I don't know but I know it is vast, so vast that I, even in moments of bright self esteem,
am only an infinitesimal flint bit of all this flake waste piff of alas a fool
for loving, yes, him I will never hold, for failing to send in the envelope, 
for missing the train, all the trains, and staying in and paying triple for waiting until now a tired
try for youth
and hope

direction
while the whole world shouts, stabs and edges towards the head
of the line

the socks dry bit by bit on the radiator 
and by the time I get home, tired and wordless, they are burned
yellow suns at the heal

ready to burst into flame
without meaning

No comments: