Thursday, April 14, 2016

Day 13 - Last ....

For today’s prompt, take the phrase “Last (blank),” replace the blank with a word or phrase, make the new phrase the title of your poem, and then, write the poem. Possible titles include: “Last Word,” “Last Card Catalog,” “Lasting Impression,” “Last Train to Duluth,” and so on.

The Last From Me

Though I obsess over them - 
what will they be
when will they be?  
soon? - 
the last look, the last word,
the last meal, the last day,
the last memory
I don't remember many
I just remember the last thing I remember
but not the actual last thing - the last laugh, the last hug,
the last easy time.

I remember telling her,
"I'm so mad at you."
and knowing that that was the last thing she heard
from me.

I don't know what to worry about
about the dead.
I was mad and death fell like a hatchet
and split my life from every tendril
of its story - almost.

Some things continued to grow.
The last anything barely matters.
The living tendrils grab onto whatever they can hold
and hatchets fall where they will.

No comments: