Wednesday, November 18, 2009

For today's prompt, I want you to write a slow poem. (If you want you can re-read that sentence in your best "slow motion" voice.) I'll let you decide what a slow poem should be.


Slow poem



I went to my mother’s to take out her trash
feed walk the dog fix the computer nine o’clock and I’d been working since seven and the dog peed in eight different places running from one spot to the next
Hurry geez and orange
Not an orange but
Orange caught my eye
Muted oh perfect
Perfect single fall-like thing
Of course on time

Persimmon
Persimmon -with something, I don’t know what,
-in common with the moon

And another
High and up
More more
The tree twice the height of the house
In a rising field of muted
Night-dipped matt leaves:
Orange, orange like a path leading
Up into night and higher
A path of notes
melody

When did all this happen
This beauty?

Slowly, of course
When we weren’t looking

Some of the persimmons
We can’t even see

2 comments:

Beilezebub said...

And here I was more impatient for the colors this year than ever before and think FINALLY. Someone is bringing edible persimmons to work and they are tasty. I always hesitate before taking a bite because they might be the baking persimmons. When are you going to start your baking? Love your evoking of the season.

Laura Hohlwein said...

my baking? huh?

oh. perhaps you mean the christmas lemon pie with hot lemonade and lemon tarts or lemon bars with lemon zest and lemon frosting.. well, the girls will be coming out, at least for a few days before christmas. my myer's lemons are (slowly) getting themselves ready for the little ones and their thorough lemon-product sidewalk-shop campaign. expect lemons (and penguins) on your doorstep at some point, fer sher.