Saturday, October 23, 2010

dumber than a squirrel....

okay. was out for a rainy day loop or two around the park. came right upon a squirrel burying a nut in the grass. he looked straight at me and without looking away for even a second, reached pretty far out and grabbed a nearby leaf. He put it most deliberately over his hole and stepped on it back and forth and back and forth, left and right - as if that made the leaf's position more credible and harder to see. (kinda reminded me of the George Bush "I'm-explaining-things-to-you-now" hand movements). The squirrel held my eyes as I jogged away as if to dare me to pick out the very the leaf next time around and find that nut.

sure enough. some (too many) minutes later...
could be that one. then again, could be THAT one. hmm

how he's going to remember months hence when all the leaves are blown away ... just another mystery
another leaf on a pile of questions
another thing I can't do as good a a rodent
another day on this pretty, funny planet with winter coming on.

No comments: