Friday, November 5, 2010

day 5

For today's prompt, write a metamorphosis poem. This is an excellent opportunity to use metaphors and/or show changes in a season, person, animal, plant, or whatever. (Hopefully, everyone won't turn themselves into Kafka-esque roaches.)


I see a film of myself when I was in sixth grade
a classmate's parent shot
bright white blonde
just in the corner there
(I remember that shirt!)
I walk around the other kids to go somewhere

where was I going,
little one, (so little then, really?)
and who am I sitting with there now
who was at home?
how was it going then?
were the lights on
or all off, all of them?

the wires burn and must be unplugged
rewired. taped. the next film, rethreaded.

in the play - there I am -
a goblin dancing stiffly in a poorly
spray painted black box
back in the shadows. Now I remember.
I never would have. Proof there flickering - little arms akimbo.
"I'm always a cow or a neighbor," I complained
Not central, ever it seemed, and yet looking back now
she is darling

running at the kickball
still hearing the sound of the solid connect
now when it is still perhaps
not too late

to see that she is sweet, fine
and to cheer her on
to see that she was not
even then
in any way
invisible

No comments: