Wednesday, December 1, 2010

2010 November PAD Chapbook Challenge: Day 24

For today's prompt, write a spaces poem. Your poem could involve white space, outer space, inner space, a parking space, the space between one day and the next, or something other type of spacing. Allow yourself enough space to play around.


The Space of the Lot


It is so much smaller than I thought
From one yard to the next one over
this field

I try to pace off
ten, maybe steps, on the flat, slippery stone
steps to the door that was always open
that banged shut behind and announced
we're here!

but as I walk across the weeds
no I would already be out the other side
where the iron chairs slid back
by the outside table
a daisy above each fork
juices orange and yellow
abundance

I start again
where I imagine the kitchen to be
I am followed by dogs of memory
one still dumb and nipping at me
one still comforting and huge in presence:
everything is always alright


The space of the pool
has been filled

I walk on what would have been water
Sacred space of water
Hallowed space of last vision
last breath
Now green and gold and brown
Dirt and curling leaves of weeds

I want to save them
as if this bending leaf
long and golden curling leaf
was your
last wish for the world

This, the same location
not the same space
This is now
What is real now
The space to you
is a distance in my heart

measured all the time
and not at all far
a reach from plate to plate is all
the audible distance of laughter
still a blue and golden day
with sloping lawns
and teacups for the stuffed bears
and towels for going to the ocean
and facing the waves
that never stop
even as we leave
and sleep
waves crashing
and find ourselves alone
waves crashing
and live for a time
and die

and find the space that we occupied
occupied
and it's okay
by the silent
the silently growing
the real
the what
is real now

No comments: