Thursday, April 14, 2011

Poetry Challenge - Day 14. this is going by fast....

For today's prompt, write an "ain't none of my business" poem. This poem could be about something that is none of your business. Or a poem about something with which no one else should be concerned. It could be a poem about someone ignoring something that maybe they shouldn't. It could be a poem that's silly. Or a poem that's serious. It ain't none of my business what you decide to write about, though I admit I'll still be interested to see what develops.


Hush Little Baby


She's so young.
Really. Not just young. So very young.
Her sleeping bag has flowers on it.
She stands like she did in her lessons. Fresh and focused.
And is fresh and focused. Like a daughter.
A good girl. I don't care. I don't.
(not I do, but I'm just saying I don't. I don't).
I don't know why.

It's none of my business. And none I want, honey.
But I see your sad face
staring a whirlpool into your teacup
You, wearing the blues like you have/had
for decades before she was crawling
around corners - pretty baby.

You're on the patio. Not turning on the lights
the dimming of the day
the tea, cold and still in its cup
the cold blue light coming from the gas station

one more cigarette

beautiful mercy

change the time signature
and play it again
just play it again

No comments: