Thursday, May 19, 2011

all day long

I was in a chair and didn't move because I could feel it - that I was surrounded by broken glass and that I'd been stuck by it.  I couldn't tell, but I suspected it was bad.  What had I done?  Previously I had been doing a balancing act: stacking glasses and standing on them.  Upside down.  Or that's what I'd wanted to do.  I practiced on single tumblers in a long public corridor, like a European subway walkway.  I think that was first.  And learning that others practiced with stacks of plastic tumblers.  And then this sitting, stuck.  There is a nurse there after awhile.  I stand up for her and we see that there is a broken sheet of glass stuck deep into my stomach.  I'm not bleeding, but she pulls it out and I bleed and bleed (i've never dreamnt of bleeding before).  My hands and fingers fill with blood.  It is bad.  She leaves to go get towels and water and I tell her, "Look" and I turn around and in my side, deep in my hip is another.  And she grabs the flat plane of glass that is at least 4 inches deep and pulls it out with both hands and I bleed there too - and I bled all over my whole day.  No one could see it but, whatever this is, the image felt like a huge warning.  Sudden traffic stops,  Someone dropping a wine glass next to me at dinner.  The stop lights, the cars, the rooms at school.  Glass seemed everywhere today.  Nothing happened.  But the visceral utter credibility of those shards of glass stuck in my body stuck with me all day long.  Maybe it was from the Anselm Keifer image of the Jewish wedding dress pierced through with the same size shards.  I'll attach it.  I don't always wonder with a dream image, "what does it mean?"  Maybe it's always the obvious.  Maybe it's the inheritance I was born into.  Maybe I shouldn't show off and balance upside down on stacks of glasses.  Some things shouldn't be played with.

No comments: