Thursday, April 11, 2013

Poem a Day - Day 9

Today is a Two-for-Tuesday prompt. Write one of the following (or both):
  • Write a hunter poem.
  • Write a hunted poem.

In the dream, I have followed her
to where she is staying.

She has gone up the elevator
so I go up the elevator.

She has gotten out, so I do to
and see that between the elevator

and where she is heading is a field
a field full of the mentally ill

the extremely, deeply disturbed
waving their hands in front of their faces

pulling out their hair
clustering together and crying out.

She walks past them, so I do too
but where she rests

is open and out of the open space
out of nowhere comes the dog

wild, he goes straight for me
there is nowhere to hide

his teeth sink straight in
I wake, pulling back the wet, ferocious muzzle

It is strange to hear myself, crying
strange that even in sleep

I can form the word
Help.


1 comment:

Laura Hohlwein said...

I love dreams this way... and it happens so much ...
Just showing a Kiki Smith video to my Contemporary Art class and she is talking about a woman stepping out of the body of the wolf and that is resurrection ... I knew before this that this is what this dream meant for me.

This kind of corroboration is best.