Friday, November 8, 2013


For today’s prompt, write an inanimate object poem. Obviously, you could write an objective poem about an inanimate object, or you can write from the perspective of the inanimate object. If you can think of a third option, have at it.



Black Spot


Still there
in three dimensions

Inanimate black spot

There, still, in the corner of my eye.
Just a bit lower than when I first saw you.

I guess I have to say I'm sorry.
It was an impulse.  It happened fast.

The truth is I am sorry.
You are a marvel and had travelled far.

Maybe from the east coast.
Maybe from the garage.

I think you lived in the philosophy section.
Near "The Critique of Practical Reason"
which now is on my desk and has a leg or two
just above the barcode.

And you
Black Spot

Seem to be waving for help
There, still, in the corner of my vision
with one of your remaining legs.

Help won't come.
Couldn't anyway.

There is no bringing you back.
All your efforts have come to this.

If it helps,
one day too

Something a thousand times bigger than me
Out of nowhere will just end it

And I will get hit hard with something, fast
that I'd have no way, anyway, of beginning to comprehend.


No comments: