Saturday, April 12, 2014

10 - future present past


For today’s prompt, write a future poem. The future might mean robots and computer chips. The future might mean apocalyptic catastrophes. The future might mean peace and understanding. The future might mean 1,000 years into the future; it might mean tomorrow (or next month). I forecast several poems in the near future to be shared below.




Future Past

I read that we never live in the present
even if we are paying attention to it.
By the time we notice it -
as we notice it -
we and it are in the past.


A bird crows outside my window.
Has crowed.  A traffic sound fills
- has filled -  the place of that sound.

The letters I type make their sound
and stop. I guess in the past.

So the near future must be the present.
The near future must be the reading
of this poem, which will only be
present just before I read it.

In any case, I will forget
almost all of these days.

I will have lived them
so I will think I can know them.
But I won't.

The crow was flying.
Flew.

It left no mark
on the sky.

No comments: