Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Day 9

For today’s prompt, write a shelter poem. Shelter might be a structure like a house, apartment, or hotel. Shelter could be a tent or cardboard box. Shelter could be an umbrella, overpass, cave, or car. Shelter could be a state of mind, part of a money laundering scheme, or any number of interpretations.





Shelter


I live in this one house.

I have five rooms I can move through,
Six if you count the bathroom
where I stand sometimes
looking at my face.

It is a nice house.  
It has windows I can see out of
and doors I can open.

It has a nice bed I lie on and
three okay places to sit..

I can turn in it,
like one can in most places,
and face north, south, east and west.

I can see out of the windows
and open the doors.

I can walk from room to room.
There are six rooms, or five.
I can sit.  There are three okay places to sit.

I can leave it and return to it.

Which I do.  I leave it.
I return to it and sometimes stand
looking out the window.

I am grateful.  It is all I need.
I will live my life in this pretty box.

No comments: