Friday, November 27, 2009

first late one.

re we really only five days away from December? Is Thanksgiving really tomorrow morning? This week, my house has been filled with boys and noise and a lot of joy. I hope everyone's been enjoying this November PAD Chapbook Challenge. I'll post more details about what to do next on December 1. Until then, keep poeming and being thankful for the muse.

For today's prompt, I want you to write a temperature poem. Remember: Temperature can mean the heat outside, the heat of something (or someone), or even the temperament of someone.


Hot. Warm. Cold.


At this point it's all about temperature
The cold sheets that turn to smolder some time
in the middle of the night
so I peel one layer than the other then the other
and the sleeping cap must come off
(sweetest gift I ever got that makes me cry and keeps me warm)

The outside, where the leaves fall, warmer than the inside
by far. Perfect day.
The inside - I can see my breath.

In each assessment of warmth, some question of
"am I loved?"

When its warm:
I think so, sure, yes
Lucky, lucky life

Too warm:
I think I can't breathe
I think I must leave
find a new house, new country, new everything
furniture, boots, name, past.
I must go. Soon

Too cold:
I don't know if I can do this
all by myself
get warmer
here, inside,
all by myself.

No comments: