Monday, January 4, 2010

last note

she stood there, a little panicked, and pointing towards the street as the
last note hung in the air.
prompt PG

This is exactly as it happened. I left my home, returning to work. A flutter
in my heart.
I pointed to it, with my heart, down the street
was it there - her leaving?
How quickly we wrap around each other
become a need
despite all
a pull
how I love you
how my an arm fits around your certain shoulder that needs it there.
Not one more night to sleep near, to add points or pull the dog or
shout threats or tell dumb jokes, forever, and cling and pull.
Move, please.

Was it just the brighter light?
A little panic
or how near he was in the dream? - whiskers near. new.

No.

It was the brighter light.
It was her leaving.
It was the last note of the carol
or her song
either - indistinguishable -
that waited in the air
then turned the corner
before the light went green

The camelias don't listen anyway.
Right there and visible,
they open in front of me
though I'm not ready

Her voice fading into spring.
Her challenge, her own, unfurling.
Fast.

No comments: