Monday, March 29, 2010

Iceland


I just heard about this.
"Iceland Burnt to the Ground."
I feel sick.
I was just there last week, being coached in cutting a number 2 in prep for a wee spin.

I can't believe how upset I am, not just because I was reconnecting with my love of ice-skating but because the place was maybe the last homely, no bullshit place I can think of on earth that belonged to that world I know I came from but just have no proof of anymore. The benches were squeaky and the skates were years worn and nobody was very talented or good-looking, but they all looked rosy and alive and they still made hot chocolate and the ice was perfect and the air - that smelled of not this decade - was always sudden and cold and familiar and promising life without any pretense whatsoever.

I am just amazed at how upset I am.
Damn.


Crud.

No comments: