Friday, April 2, 2010

April Poetry Challenge - Day 2

For today's prompt, write a water poem. The poem could be specifically about water or just include water somewhere within the poem. You could even write about water-based phenomenon, such as rainbows or water spouts.

[hilarious that this would be the theme of the day.... because it's so hilariously (kind-of) the theme of the day. Lala Gualala 4/2/10].



Whale Watching


There is water
between
myself and the water

There is water
there
arc crashing the last distance towards the land
and nearer, below me,
fast river pushing the last distance out towards the sea

Between myself and the sky
there is water
and around my feet
king's crowns drops
and from the hill down towards me
water sliding in arcs
and running down the grade
towards the river
and the rain blurred sea

There is water
around the whales I can't hope to see
and water
between myself and the sea
and between the river that's between myself and the sea

Water
between my heart and my bones
between my cells and their movement
- presence rivering throughout

Stay, staring. Root.

Between the mother whale
and the baby
water and water from the spouts
big spout and small fog-colored
pressured and high-sprayed
rain-blurred holding
and falling to join the churning
whale gone sea

I don't need to see them for them to be.
I won't.

Stay.

The whale gone sea is danced and blurred with rain.
I drip and shine
a coastal wildflower
fragile and stubborn
wet
clinging here in the rain
on the last feet of earth before the river
the last distance before the sea.

1 comment:

Beilezebub said...

Its April already? Again? You're starting strong though LH