Friday, April 9, 2010

Poetry Challenge - Day 9

For today's prompt, write a self-portrait poem. Other artists study themselves to create compositions (not all of them exactly flattering either), so it is only natural that poets, who are word artists, write self-portrait poems from time to time. In fact, some poets make self-portrait poetry "their main thing." For at least today, make it yours.

Sepia Girl

There was a drawing of me
For so long, for years, I could look
and move and match my reflection
precisely to that open, clear, ready face

I looked exactly the same
I looked at myself and
saw myself

I haven't seen the drawing in years
If I found it and brushed away the dust
in that floating dust between that sepia girl
and who looks at that face now,
who moves her face to try to match it

is the story
that tells of the difference
and of the reasons for it.

No comments: