Saturday, May 5, 2012

Day 4

For today’s prompt, take the phrase, “100% (blank);” replace the blank with a new word or phrase; make the new phrase the title of your poem; and then, write your poem. 


100% Water


In the dream
the usual high waves
threaten, boringly. 
and a guide emerges
enthusiastically indicating a tunnel
of water 
through the water


an easy way through.
I can see all the way through
- a very clean channel
out to the depths


I can swim well enough but
I think ahead and don't
want to be touched 
by fish or fins or limbs or scales
or teeth


not underwater


The guide says, "Inevitable.  So don't go"
and so I don't go.


I stay behind and clean a sitting room
using way, way, way too much water
pushing high stacks of water off the chairs
with a useless broom


And when people come for lunch
I am still there
waist-high 
serving water
drying the tables with a wet towel
asking people, one by one,
"Thirsty?"





No comments: