Saturday, April 9, 2016

Day 8 - Doodle

For today’s prompt, write a doodle poem. In my mind, I’m thinking of how I like to doodle when I’m talking on the phone or sitting in a meeting. I used to doodle in my classes when I was younger. So for a poem, I’m thinking this could start off as something small that stays small or builds to epic proportions. Doodle around a bit today. If needed, start by describing something close at hand or within your current field of vision.

Doodle

It starts with his name
one letter on top of the next
quickly illegible
the capitals popping out
from the dark splotch
like legs
that become a hat
or a set of wings
or just more legs
if I'm feeling obsessive

It's just a habit
telling the paper
what echoes in the heart
sometimes it might be numbers
numbers large enough to equal
worry

sometimes a confession
looping or etched
a cry into vast terrain of the paper's surface
of how lonesome
how lonesome
how frustrated with the frustrated self

quickly illegible
sprouting leaves or tendrils
or wheels
going somewhere
as some world launches around it
fitting to the doodle's dimension, its being

in this way I can forget
to attend to what
I should attend to

and I worry instead
about where this millipede or galaxy
this dark spot of need
is going, what it might find
for lunch
what it might want to feel
more at home.



No comments: