Sunday, November 1, 2009

November Poetry Writing Challenge - Day One

aargh. the site was down all day (and I was out of town all day - but still it's THEIR fault). don't know if I can do this. KB, you must CHALLENGE me to accept the challenge.

I now have ten TEN minutes.

For today’s prompt, I want you to write a poem in which you (or something) enters something new. Sound abstract? Some examples: Write a poem in which you travel somewhere new. Or try some new exercise. Or diet. Or hair stylist. Or, well, I’m think you get the idea. And remember: It doesn’t have to be about you. You could, I suppose, write a poem about an insect entering a new phase of development. Or a plant being introduced to a new environment. And so on.


At first it is like gauze over my eyes
then a sheet, something, over my face
growing thicker, stickier

Heavy, heavy the white light comes through
more and more yellow
shapes rounded, made indistinct.

wrapped close my ears now
wrapped and my name
if that is what was said
comes to me muffled
impossible to respond to
surely

i cannot push forward.
i'm enveloped, bound close.
did i make this thing?

my patience twitches
and now, worse,
with me here
pressing against me like love
with an urgency flickering like
love i have these small
and bent-back
velvet-edged
wings.

3 comments:

salamor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
salamor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
salamor said...

What begins with language and imagery that more than suggest an affliction, and advances through increasing privation (first sight, then sound, then movement), ends -- in a breath of intuition -- with a gauzy cocoon that encloses an oh so lovely metamorphosis!