Wednesday, November 17, 2010


For today's prompt, take the phrase "Tell me why (blank)," replace the blank with a word or phrase, make the new phrase the title of your poem, and then, write the poem. Possible titles could include: "Tell me why 1+1=2," "Tell me why I'm wrong," "Tell me why my hand always gets stuck in the Pringle's container," etc. Get silly; get serious; get poeming!


Tell Me Why

There are these distances
millenia sometimes
continents often - tu me manque
il neige
or three thousand miles of fields and gas stations
or cities
just cities intervening
too far, too awkward
a space longer than a movie
with a beginning, middle and end
that ends well or badly
or neighborhoods
there is that one
that one is not this one
a freeway bends between

or just houses
three, fourteen
twenty eight fifty
divisions of walls
enough to never know if the lights are on or off
in any case one has nothing to do
with the other

or the distance between one side of the bed
or another
vast, like a continent

sometimes
i don't know why

there is no proximity

tell me why there are these distances

No comments: