Monday, November 3, 2014

Chapbook Thingy - Day 3

For today’s prompt, write a blanket poem. In my part of the country, we’ve had a recent cold spell and folks have been cuddling up under their blankets. In other places, they’ve even had to deal with a blanket of snow. Some people–regardless of the weather–have their security blankets, which may or may not be actual blankets. And some folks make blanket statements. There may be other ways to cover a blanket poem and if you know it, then go for it.

Naming Blankets

I am back in this particular bed
child's bed
spare bedroom bed
bed that I would go to
in another house
when my heart had been left out
in the east coast chill.

And there I would sink
into the safety
of the size of it.
The miraculous mattress
and its layers of firmness
then softness
then sweetness.
And I would know then that I had to be,
had been, have been, will have to have been,
will have to be
a comfort to myself.

And here
in this time
how many blankets?

One that makes me feel like a small girl asking for dreams.
One that makes me feel like the ghost of a dog, - curled, still napping.
One that makes me feel like an unhappy wife - almost.
One that lays heavy on all the rest to help them
do their job.

This room is different
as is its quiet.

It takes a long while to get warm.
But it is happening, bit by bit.

I toss on one more throw
in an early, deep hour.
This one is light, almost floats.
It names me - Traveller.

No comments: