Monday, April 10, 2017

PAD 10 - Up

For today’s prompt, write a travel poem. Your poem can be about the process of traveling, planning to travel, vicariously traveling through television programs, or however else you’d like to take this prompt.


Up


I look up and there is someone
high up in the cables of the bridge
dancing out horizontally from the towers

In my waking life
I have a friend who does just that
So I think it might be him

and - there -
maybe his friends
More interweave in the cable webbing.

I don't tell myself I can do that
Or want to
But as I rise up I know that I have this gift

In fact, I warn myself, as I easily rise,
not to go too high
I am so high already

I grab behind me
the slope of the main cables
and bend my body to match.
I see I am being observed from below

and do a flourish out
though I resent it
- why must I perform?

Shortly, I return to the ground
walk past the bridge, turn a corner
and rise again.

People are there below me.
I want to just be left alone
to be unobserved.

To think about how I feel this feels
to consider other uses
of this, my odd and unlikely gift.


No comments: