Thursday, April 13, 2017

PAD 13 - Rite Aid

For today’s prompt, write a family poem. It could be about your family, someone else’s family, a big family, a small family. It could be about one person in the family or a group picture. Your call. Just write that poem.
maybe this can count for the missing Guilty poem too....


Rite-Aid

I was about to not love you.
How could that be, but it was.

I was about to not love you.
I was about to hate you.

I remember that.
I remember saying that and knowing it.

I remember standing next to you
- how skinny you were

bones, really, bones, cuts, 
so many bruises
and I thought, I don't even know you

as you turned down an aisle
away from me, not even distant

just
utterly unknown: pure stranger.

I think I thought
I hate you

not then
then you were just a stranger

and I thought
who is this

but in those days
when your dark house was your only refuge
besides your activity of absolute obliteration

and the darkness filled our veins
    no matter our distance
and clutched our throats
    choked already for years with tears, fears, years of tears, and fears, founded
and love, useless
tough love, useless
tough

ambulances, silence,
phones, ringing, not ringing, silence, alarms, tears and the distance
growing and love, tough or kind love, forever love then - useless

and the darkness woke the children
and opened the drawers

looking, always looking

That wasn't the last vision, some woman,
with a coin purse
and broken hair
and cigarette scent
under the bright public lights
starving for something
then still visible

but it was the last day, our last outing
together, I might say.

We were in the pharmacy on the upper westside
looking for scar cream, conditioner, cigarettes.

I didn't even know her.
How could that be.

Very soon
you became you when you became bones
quite actually
and I could love you again.

Love rushed in 
on powerful, thundering, hard flapping wings.

Love ran through the streets
calling your name, calling out

I'll love you forever.

Family is everything. 

Family is forever.

At least there is that.
and I myself will die
with my devotion to your friendship,
your long ago through and through love,
your golden, then outcast, broken-winged soul.


No comments: