Monday, November 9, 2009

For today's prompt, I want you to write a slippery poem. The subject can be about something slippery (snake, soap, etc.), or the poem itself can deal with a slippery subject (I'm thinking big concepts like that have words ending in -ism might fit the definition of a slippery subject). If in doubt, just write.


I Can't Hold Onto You

I can't hold on to you: concept, lover, moment, peace, bitterness, truth, waking, sleep.

You slip through me. I can't hold onto you: punchline, storyline, travel story, money.

Whenever you are there: faces, hands, sweaters, kind eyes, you slip into street, background, bookcase, dream that slips into words dropping furnished rooms into blur all along the way.

I can't hold onto you: self, who, divinity, what.

Whenever you are there: birdsong, bridesgown, blessing, betrayal, you slip into wall, (candle out), floor, weatherfront, highway, (flat or flattening) into memory that slips, of course, better, faster, than even all the rest.

No comments: