Tuesday, November 19, 2013

15 - what I knew

For today’s prompt, take the phrase “What (blank),” replace the blank with a word or phrase, make the new phrase the title of your poem, and then, write your poem. Possible titles might include: “What Luck,” “What Happens in Vegas Stays in Vegas,” “Whatever You Say,” and so on.



What I Knew

I was an odd child who was in love.
This I knew and I knew
I loved the distressed mess of oak leaves
that a peacock brushed through during the night
that ochre field greyed shuffled under electric blue, night-greyed
that the rain was love, was in love
with the leaves under the leaves
that the worms
and the spiders under the snapped and fallen branches
were as perfect as the words
"I love you"
and that no words were needed
not ever
there when I was ten, silent,
acknowledging each piece of color
as I could, arranging them in my lap,
in the bowl of my cotton dress,
with care according to how much
for them I felt.

No comments: