Sunday, April 2, 2017

PAD 2 - Not Today

For today’s prompt, write a “not today” poem. Maybe it’s normal to give in to outside pressures, but not today. Or maybe you’re usually very disciplined in your health and wellness habits, but not today. Or maybe you struggle to write poems, but not today.


Not Today

Today I won't look in the mirror
and hate my reflection as if it is the clearest evidence
of all my failures, all my dullness, all my denial

how round, how flat, how white, how empty
how this 
these lips, thin, like mean
these eyes
not worn to character by laughter but dullness, 
waiting, looking, not looking

my neck widened like a freeway, widened
the sorrow in my eyes
not even true
not even evocative

of the loss that defines me

Shell of self
I won't look at you today

I will just feel care
coursing through my lucky veins

and know it is beautiful, alive
and paid for in full.


No comments: