Friday, April 7, 2017

PAD 7 - Discovery:Afternoon Nap

For today’s prompt, write a discovery poem. This poem could be about making a discovery; it could be about something discovered (by someone or something else); or something you’d like to discover. I can’t wait to discover what new poems poets will create.


Afternoon Nap 

I am here only to my mid thigh.
My knees, calves, ankles, feet
have yet to return, take shape, 
fill in, have edges, be.

Below my mid thigh
I am wide as Greenland.

wider.

I am quite obviously infinite

as I have been
the clock tells me
for two hours
in the middle of the day.

I remember returning
through the crown of my head.
I remember that point being, also,
structurally, like a the final leaf to bloom
on an artichoke, say,
as all the sections pull back
to let, 
I will call it - me -
in.

softly.  softly.

So, I returned through there
top down
the leaves of the specific
pulling back
made of 
light, hues overlapping

and I put myself back together
- it seemed to take an hour -
from some inside out 
one color at a time
sheaves of cells at a time.

I make myself coffee 
black
and in this wide afternoon
I will myself toes
and a name
to name this gratitude,
this self,
this home-coming.

No comments: